Hunter's Edge Serving the Shenandoah Valley and The Surrounding Areas.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunter's Edge Serving the Shenandoah Valley and The Surrounding Areas.

An Open Forum For All Valley Hunters!
Email Us!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sights and Rests

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bone Collector

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Sights and Rests Empty
PostSubject: Sights and Rests   Sights and Rests Icon_minitime1/13/2009, 4:02 am

I want to upgrade my bow with a new rest and sight. I am leaning towards a Spott Hogg or Copper John sight (5 pin) and some sort of drop-away rest. If anyone has any input I would appreciate your advice.
Back to top Go down
bowhunter_va_72
bowhunter_va_72

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Sights and Rests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sights and Rests   Sights and Rests Icon_minitime1/19/2009, 4:40 pm

I would stay away from the copper john. I had a 5-pin model and moving the pins indivdually became a chore after you lock them into place a couple of times. The track they ride on gets indentions which make it hard to make small changes up and down. I got really frustrated with this thing and took out all of the pins except for one. I put it in the middle of the sight and use it for indoor only. One .029 pin in a round housing

The spot hogg is an excellent site. I've had 2 that have performed flawlessly for everything from 3D to field to indoor. They are easy to adjust and built tough. The version I've used is the Right On. One with 5 .029 pins and one with 5 .019 pins. I sold the .029 one and wish I would have kept it.

Having said that, I've just purchased the new fixed pin sight from Axcel (TRU Ball). The Armortech HD appears to be a great sight with micro adjust features. It's a bit pricey (at/near $200 depending on the options) but so far it has been very solid (6 weeks old). I purchased the 5 pin model with .019 pins for the first 2 pins and the last 3 are .010. I'm still debating whether or not I want to use this for hunting. I think larger pins (.029) are better for hunting.

If I had to recommend one of these 3, it would be the spot hogg. The Right On is simple, tough, and hasn't let me down in 5 years. I don't have enough time with the Axcel to say it's better than the spot hogg.

Ask me again in September.
Back to top Go down

Sights and Rests
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hunter's Edge Serving the Shenandoah Valley and The Surrounding Areas. :: Archery :: General Discussion-
Jump to: