Hunter's Edge Serving the Shenandoah Valley and The Surrounding Areas.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunter's Edge Serving the Shenandoah Valley and The Surrounding Areas.

An Open Forum For All Valley Hunters!
Email Us!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?

Go down 
+8
jimb
popeye
CKimbrough18
Bone Collector
BowSticker
Wolfscry
DeerStalker
7 Rum Eat
12 posters
AuthorMessage
7 Rum Eat

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-08-21

What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Empty
PostSubject: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime8/21/2008, 2:53 am

Well, I like "overwhelming firepower" and the git-r-done kind of weapon. Why? It's just a personal thing. I do not believe that one needs big and heavy kicking magnums for deer hunting. I just like to use them myself. So here's my favorite, the Remington 7mm Ultra Magnum, stoked with 140-160 grain Nosler Accubonds or Partitions. Again, this is not necessary, but only in my mind. In fact, I will probably start my kids out on a 7mm.08. Then, when they, and me, get older, the 7 RUM will probably get carried by the strong teenager and the old man stuck with the 7mm.08. That's the plan anyway... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
7 Rum Eat

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Second Favorite deer cartridge/caliber.   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime8/21/2008, 2:59 am

I couldn't stand it, just had to mention another one that is new to me. And that is the .325 WSM in a Browning. I figure a 200 grain will do the trick. Man, here I go again, way overdoing it! clown
Back to top Go down
DeerStalker

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Hmmmm...Tough one   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime8/21/2008, 2:02 pm

I'd say my favorite is the Rem 243. Respectful distance and good knock down. Wicked bullet. Internal Combustion! lol Like a ping pong ball inside them. Bounces every where tearing shit up.
Also, i would agree that the 7mm 08 is another great choice.
Back to top Go down
Wolfscry
Wolfscry

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime8/22/2008, 5:17 pm

I also like the 243. I have a New England Firearms 243 cal topped with a Simmons 3x9x40 Scope. Only downside is it is a single shot rifle so make the first shot count.

Wolfscry
Back to top Go down
DeerStalker

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime8/22/2008, 5:36 pm

Yes. New England Fire Arms makes a decent Gun. I use toi have a .223 by New England FireArms. What I liked about it , it was so short and easy to carry in the woods. Also cam up to your shoulder quick with less movement!. I have a 22 mag in as well. It wil ldrive tacks! Great guns!
Back to top Go down
Wolfscry
Wolfscry

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime8/22/2008, 5:50 pm

Yes DeerStalker you are right about the length, I forgot to mention that. Mine is a Handi Gun, short but makes it nice to carry in brush. And it is very very accurate.

Wolfscry
Back to top Go down
DeerStalker

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime8/22/2008, 6:01 pm

Yes....Thats what mine is too! The Handi Gun. Yes very Accurate!
Back to top Go down
BowSticker
Administrator
BowSticker

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime8/22/2008, 9:34 pm

what ever happened to people liking the 270 and 30.06? to me a 243 is a small caliber to deer hunt w/. you have to be very acurate w/ that gun! i just don't see how you can go wrong w/ a 270 or 30.06. good range a knock down for any game in any state!
Back to top Go down
http://www.huntersedge.forumotion.net
Bone Collector

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime8/24/2008, 2:52 am

I have killed deer with a 44mag, 308, and a 270. but my all time favorite now is the 300WSM. It is the most accurate gun I have ever had, will shoot excellent groups with anything I have put in it, and would also qualify as "overwhelming firepower".
Back to top Go down
CKimbrough18

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime9/26/2008, 1:58 am

This is always a great discussion. In a rifle I use a Winchester 7mm Mag.topped with a Nikon 4-12x50 scope. It's never let me down. Last year I bought a T/C Pro Hunter Handgun in a .30 T/C. It's basically a 30.06 but shorter, and with a newly engineered powder that burns faster and hotter. So on paper it's actually faster (3000 fps) and has the same range as the 30.06. Fun to shoot in a handgun. I have stopped carrying a rifle since I bought this thing.
Back to top Go down
popeye

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime10/15/2008, 2:30 pm

I use a 280 probably 90% of time.
Back to top Go down
jimb

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime10/15/2008, 6:46 pm

I use a rem 742 in 30-06 with winchester 150 gr powerpoints. I picked up some of that .357 leverevolution by hornady and thought I would try that out of my win 94 this year.
Back to top Go down
Swampdog

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime11/2/2008, 11:58 am

99% of the time I go with my "old faithful" a Model 70 in 7mmRem. Mag.Sometimes I go with my Sako AV in 25-06.
Back to top Go down
stealth

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime11/16/2008, 3:51 pm

7 mm mag. rem. one of the flatest shooting cal. you can use. sold my 300 win mag. im interested in that 325 though.
Back to top Go down
bowhunter_va_72
bowhunter_va_72

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime11/17/2008, 9:19 am

I have a 30-06 (Remington 700) that I shoot 2-3 165gr core-lokt cartridges through per year. Once to make sure it's still on, and once or twice at deer. Because this gun has been accurate and faithful, I'll probably never purchase another deer rifle. 30-06 cartridges are relatively inexpensive compared to other cartridges and easily found just about anywhere you hunt. You can also get a variety of loads. So my vote is for the 30-06, for accuracy, price, availability and variety.
Back to top Go down
tchunter_va

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime11/19/2008, 1:33 am

i have been deer hunting for 10 years and have always used muzzleloader dont see the need to buy anything else just bought the tc encore thise year with a nikon scope shhots great its all i need
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?   What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite cartridge/caliber for deer hunting?
Page 1 of 1